Mercadante theatre, Bari
The Mercadante theatre was inaugurated on September 17, 1895 to commemorate the centenary anniversary of the birth of the local musician and composer Francesco Saverio Mercadante. After a long period of closure and decay the Consorzio Teatro Mercadante reached an agreement with local sponsors and awarded the restoration and renovation project to SMN – G.L. Sylos Labini & Partners. The project entailed the restoration of the historic theater features, the reconstruction of its interior décor and the complete reinstatement of its facilities for artists and the public, including improving the technical infrastructure and fully complying with current safety regulations. The main part of the project is a new annex building which provides new and modern facilities for offices, dressing rooms, back-stage studios and utility rooms.