Humboldt Lecture Theatre
The Humboldt University in Berlin was founded in 1809, on the initiative of the liberal education reformer and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt. The acoustic properties of the lecture theatre at the business and economics institute were improved in the course of a modernization project. In a public invitation to tender, several contractors devised and presented a suitable ceiling model. Möbel Damm GmbH convinced both architect and owner with the model they submitted.
The judges praised the craftsmanship demonstrated by the contractor in this project which perfectly interpreted the planned design and delivered the required performance for the lecture theatre. This room now offers a comfortable and effective space for the users, coupled with a high visual impact.
The interaction of smooth, sound-reflecting and sound-absorbing perforated boards on the ceiling and walls created an acoustically effective overall structure. The shingle-type ceiling design gives the room an attractive appearance which is emphasized by the combination of variable indirect and direct lighting. Successful inclusion of vertical lamp recesses in the elliptically shaped panelling requiring precision and great care.
The contractor team installed a total of 15 individual ceiling sections of varying sizes and with three-dimensional concave vaulting in a shingle-type pattern with overlaps on three sides. The substructure, in the form of wide-span supports, was attached to the slab and aligned radially to the lectern and vertically. Curved beams were fitted with CD profiles and covered with a double layer of GK-Form boards.
Humboldt University, Berlin
Architect: Hüffer • Ramin Architekten, Berlin
Main contractor: Möbel Damm GmbH
Photographer: Detlef Damm, Michael Zettelmann
Saint-Gobain Team: Michael Zettelmann, Frank Neumann
Möbel Damm GmbH
Möbel Damm GmbH was founded in 1886 when Paul Damm opened a decorating shop in Templin, where the company is still located. His son and grandson developped this business further. His great-grandson Detlefamm founded a carpenters workshop in 1990. 1993 a furniture store was opened where their own products as well as other furniture were sold. The carpenters shop was subsequently expanded and dry-lining as well as acoustic were included in their portfolio, 1991 the first dry-lining installation was made.